The major conclusions from this report are:
- By 2017 we project that 100% of all HDDs shipped will be SED capable driven by implementation of this capability into commercial HDD controllers.
- By 2018 about 11% of all HDDs shipping units will shift to SED enabled or promoted products, driven by security adoption demand.
- By 2018 the high, median and low estimates for SED enabled adoption for SED HDDs are 85 M, 70 M and 54 M units.
- By 2014 almost all SSDs were SED capable and by 2015 they all have this capability.
- Although actual SSD SED feature implementation in 2018 is 100% in about 236 M SSDs, the projected actual SSDs from that year intended for security and data protection purposes is estimated at less than 24 M units.