The Digital Storage Technology Newsletter is a Quarterly Publication of Coughlin Associates. This year marks the 31th year of this newsletter, formerly called the Rigid Disk Heads and Media Newsletter (and originally published by Peripheral Research, Inc.).
Subscription entitles subscriber to:
- Membership of Entertainment Storage Alliance (www.entertainmentstorage.org)
- Report discounts
- $100 discount for 2017 Storage Visions Conference (call 408-202-5098).
Here are some top items impacting digital storage in the fourth quarter of 2016 (and the first month of Q1 2017):
- Total HDD shipments in CQ3 2016 were down 1.7% compared with CQ3 2016 (M 111.5 M units in Q4 2016 versus 113.5 M units in Q3 2016). This is after a 15.2% increase for CQ3 2016 from CQ2 2016, 2.1% decline for CQ2 2016 from CQ1 2016, 12.3% decline for CQ1 2016 from CQ4 2015 and a 3.6% decline for CQ4 2015 from CQ3 2015.
- Notebook HDD shipments declined by 19.9% while desktop HDD shipments declined 18.6% Q2Q.
- CE HDD shipments were up 20.8% while branded shipments were down 7.9% Q2Q.
- High performance enterprise HDDs were down 11.3% while near line enterprise HDDs were up 1.5% Q2Q.
- 3.5-inch HDDs declined by 11.0% Q2Q. 2.5-inch HDDs increased by about 7.9% Q2Q.
- There was a 0.87% increase in ASPs in CQ4 2016 compared to CQ3 2016. There was a 1.92% increase in ASPs in CQ3 compared to CQ2 2016, an 8.82% increase in ASPs in CQ2 compared to CQ1 2016, a 0.85% decline in ASPs in CQ1 2016 compared to CQ4 2015 and a 1.7% increase in CQ4 compared to CQ3 2015. This quarter continued the increase in ASPs we saw in the prior two quarters.
- The 2016 Digital Storage in Media and Entertainment Report is available. See sales form at the end of the newsletter.
- The 2016 How Many IOPS Do You Really Need Report, co-authored with Objective Analysis is now available—see sales form at the end of this
- The 2015 Emerging Non-Volatile Memory and Storage Technology and Manufacturing Report is available from Coughlin Associates—see
sales form at end of the newsletter.